The Bible is a monolithic doctrinal unit


   Sacred Scripture is not the opinion of its many authors, but of God, therefore, by logic, we should take care that our interpretation of a passage is in harmony with the entire Bible, not just certain passages, books or sections of it. If an interpretation of ours is in agreement with only 75% of what is said in the Bible but is in opposition with the other 25%, this means that the interpretation, even though it is not totally wrong, is not totally correct. It could very well be that some things are true, but something is also wrong with the interpretation. When that happens to us, it is time to discuss the subject with those that oppose our way of seeing things. Those who oppose our interpretation are the only ones that could help us if we are mistaken; those who think as we do only can confirm us in our mistake if we are wrong.

   The Bible has had many authors, but it does not include their personal opinion to serve as a guide for us, only the opinion of God. That is why the Bible is a monolithic unit, speaking in a doctrinal and prophetic manner. Everything in it was inspired by the Holy Spirit according to what the Apostle Peter tells us.


For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man, but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”                                 (II Peter 1:21)


   The Apostle Paul is telling us something similar when in his instructions to Timothy, he says the following:


All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”       (II Timothy 3:16)


   As we can see, two Apostles tell us that all of Scripture is from God. Therefore, it is not logical to think that different sections of Scripture teach opposing things, things that oppose one another.  God is not a being prone to contradiction, anarchy, and chaos, but harmony. Therefore, all correct interpretation must be in harmony with the rest of the Bible.


Back to the index